From the Hutch Owen collection


From the Hutch Owen collection: One of the first Sunday-style Hutch Strips I did.

I wish I could find the scrap of paper where I wrote "Grover Norquist=John Milius!" That was the first idea behind treating Grover Norquist in these strips.

Norquist, of course, is the ridiculous baby-man whose man fight in life is to save his tax money from the government. He had President Bush's ear, he's ridiculously influential in Washington and near as I can tell has the mind of a 4-year old.

John Milius also has the mind of a 4-year old but at least he's making movies. Milius, of course is the wacko right-wing screenwriter responsible for Conan the Barbarian, Red Dawn and parts of Apocalypse Now. The wonderful thing about Milius is that he's shameless. Shamelessness- it's a great thing in art, a stupid thing in politics. Norquist can go to H-E-double hockey sticks. Milius can come over for beers if he wants.

Norquist became Public Enemy 1 in my strips, because if there's anything I hate in politics, it's acting like children. Kids need to learn if you hit another kid with a hammer, it will hurt them and it is probably a bad thing. Adults need to teach kids to share. Adults teach children to see beyond themselves to the feelings and needs of other people. Norquist never learned any of this.

So in my strips, he wears diapers and sabotages even his own publisher.

More from these strips later in the week.

Comments

Popular Posts